Waitrose & Partners adopts productDNA as its preferred product data platform
London, 14 February 2019 – GS1 UK has revealed that Waitrose & Partners has joined the ranks of retailers Tesco and Ocado in adopting the industry-designed product data sharing platform, productDNA.
productDNA is a single catalogue of high-quality, independently-verified data that enables grocery retailers to have access to a single, trusted database in which suppliers can update product information.
This will streamline the process of listing new, branded product lines and updating product information on packaging.
Siobhan Bowie, partner and product programme supplier management lead at Waitrose, said: “productDNA is a great example of how the industry has come together for the benefit of our customers. It will ensure that product information is up to date so that customers can make informed purchasing decisions.
Bowie added: “GS1 UK is the perfect partner to drive this initiative forward and we are looking forward to working more closely with GS1 UK to encourage adoption of productDNA across our supplier base.”
Gary Lynch, CEO at GS1 UK, said: “We are delighted that Waitrose has adopted productDNA. This gives us further proof that trusted product data is something of great importance to the wider retail industry.
“We are looking forward to working more closely with Waitrose over the coming months, helping spread the word about the benefits of productDNA to their suppliers."
Created by the industry for the industry, the key benefits of the productDNA platform for the UK grocery sector include:
- A common data model using an industry-agreed set of product attributes – creating a shared language across all retailers
- A single system for suppliers to enter their new lines data once and share it with multiple trading partners – removes admin and duplication
- A simpler, more intuitive product catalogue shared between retailers and suppliers – reducing the time spent on data collection and increasing the time available to focus on improving the customer experience
- Third-party physical product verification underpinned by GS1 standards – checks on dimensions, barcodes and back of pack improves the overall quality of product data and increase consumer confidence
- Greater trust and transparency for consumers, improving the overall shopping experience
For more information and to register your interest, visit gs1uk.org/productdna
- ENDS -
About GS1 UK
For further information or requests for interviews, please contact Tim Haidar: 020 7092 3584 / Tim.Haidar@gs1uk.org.
GS1 UK is a community of over 38,000 members working in retail, foodservice, healthcare and more. GS1 UK is one of 112 independent, not-for-profit GS1 organisations operating across 150 countries worldwide. GS1 UK helps everyone involved in making, moving and trading goods, automate and standardise their supply chain processes using the common language of GS1 global standards.